Acorn Public Library Summer Reading Information: http://www.acornlibrary.org/kids-events
* Spiral notebook
* Free reading book
* Reading folder
A copy of your Prentice Hall Literature book will be in the classroom. Please bring your assigned copy home.
· To become a strategic reader while reading every day
· Enhance reading comprehension
· Learn and Identify the Elements of Literature
· Develop a strong vocabulary
Specific Goals (Common Core)
· Cite textual evidence
· Determine central idea in a text
· Analyze key individuals, events, and ideas in a text
· Analyze how a sentence, paragraph, or chapter, fits into the overall structure of a text
· Determine an author’s point of view or purpose
· Describe how a story’s or drama’s plot unfolds
· Compare and contrast texts in different forms or genres
65% Tests and Projects
20% Quizzes and Classwork
15% Reading Points and Homework
Students should obtain 10 reading points each trimester.
Ms. Koschnitzki’s Classroom Information
Supplies: Students will need a spiral notebook and silent reading book each day.
Text books will be distributed and brought home. There will be a copy of the text book under each desk to use in the classroom.
Silent Reading Book: This book is usually a novel, but can be an autobiography or biography. The book must be suitable for school and an appropriate reading level. This book can be used to accumulate Reading Points.
Homework: Students should be reading each night for a minimum of fifteen minutes and one hour on the weekends.
Reading Points: Students should have a silent reading book at all times. To receive reading points, students should write a summary of any book read during the school year. There is a list of questions to complete for students reading nonfiction books. Students need to earn at least 10 Reading Points per trimester. Students should ask about the point value of any book. The points do not carry over to the next trimester. Reading points are worth fifteen percent of the reading grade.
Scholastic Book Orders: Book orders will be passed out during class each month. Students can combine all orders and write one check payable to Scholastic or pay with cash. Scholastic orders can be placed online using a code and paid for with a credit card.